What tests require fasting?
A 12-hour fasting is required for the following tests:
- Lipid profile
- Glucose Tolerance Test
- Fasting Glucose
- Lactose Tolerance Test
- Cortrosyn Stimulation Test
My doctor ordered several tests on a stool specimen. Can I collect just one?
These are the requirements for collection of stool specimens:
- Culture: collected in a clean, dry container and brought to the lab no longer than 4 hours after collection. Do not refrigerate.
- Ova and Parasite Comprehensive: collected in a clean, dry container. Collect ¼ cup and bring to the lab no longer than 2 hours after collection. If ordered x3, must be collected on 3 separate days. Do not refrigerate.
- Ova and Parasite Screen: collect in a clean, dry container. Collect 1 tablespoon of stool. The sample needs to be brought to the lab the same day of collection. Refrigerate if transport is delayed. Do not repeat for 7 days.
- Occult Blood: The lab or Doctor will give the patient Hemocult cards. The cards come in an envelope with instructions. If three are requested they are collected on three separate days and brought in together.
- C-Diff: Sample needs to be collected in clean, dry container. The sample needs to be brought to the lab on ice right after collection. Freeze the sample if it cannot be transported to the lab right away.
Does the laboratory have skilled phlebotomists?
Our staff is proficient for all age levels. Competency and proficiency is a requirement for all laboratory personnel.
Do I need to have orders from my doctor to have lab testing?
If the doctor's office faxes the order to the laboratory, you do not need to present with the paper order. If they do not fax the order, you will need a paper requisition. For standing orders, you do not need a new order for 6 months.
How long will it be until my results are done?
Depending upon the test, the average time is 1 to 4 days.
My doctor has ordered a RhoGAM injection. When can I come to the laboratory?
Monday through Friday from 7:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m.