Quality, Safety & Value
At Lawrence General Hospital, providing our patients with safe, efficient and quality healthcare is not only our priority, but our mission as your community healthcare provider.
Lawrence General Hospital is committed to clinical excellence and achieving the highest level of quality and patient safety for the residents of the Merrimack Valley region. Our mission is to provide high quality, high value health care to all our patients.
Lawrence General is consistently recognized as one of the highest scoring facilities in the country in measures of quality of care and costs:
• Accredited by The Joint Commission for high standards in both quality and safety
• Designation as a Community Value Five Star Hospital by Cleverly & Associates
• Recent Recertification as a Level III Trauma Center by the American College of Surgeons
• Named a Breast Imaging Center of Excellence by the American College of Radiology
• Approved as a Community Cancer Program by the American College of Surgeons
Commission on Cancer
• Recognized as a Regional Best Nursing Team Runner Up by Advance for Nurses
Lawrence General Hospital has taken proactive steps over the past year to improve patient safety. Our new Leadership & Quality Team instituted a more robust, critical self-assessment of the systems and organizational structures related to Quality and Patient Safety Measures, resulting in significant improvements over the last year.
Some of the patient safety improvements we made over the past year include:
• Implementation of an Electronic Health Record
• Implementation of a Computerized Physician Order Entry (CPOE) System
• Introduction of Enhanced Medication Administration Systems with Barcoding
and Use of “Smart Pumps”
• Initiated Hourly Rounding on Inpatients
• Improved Communication Between Patients and Their Medical Team
We’re proud to report that we have submitted updated information and data to the Leapfrog Hospital Survey in November 2012, and based on this current information and using the Leapfrog’s Hospital Safety Score Calculator, we expect to achieve an “A” Grade for Patient Safety when the Hospital Safety Scores are updated. We remain committed to holding ourselves the highest standards of performance in order to deliver the highest quality of care.
The Leapfrog’s Hospital Safety Score includes only some of the hospital’s quality and patient safety data that is publicly reported. Additional quality measures demonstrate Lawrence General’s strong performance, such as:
• Process of Care Measures - our most recent data shows significant improvements
• 30 Day Mortality Rates - same or better than national rates
• 30 Day Readmission Rates - same or better than national rates
In a recent analysis of Blue Cross payments for cardiac procedures at Lawrence General, the average cost savings to have a cardiac cath procedure locally, versus in Boston, was $10,000 less per procedure reviewed. The cost savings for a typical pediatric admission at LGH is $3,000. The same great quality and results, and sometimes the same physician, but significant savings for you and/or your insurer. Lawrence General offers high quality and high value care, close to home when you need it most.
For more information, please contact us at 978-946-8109.